Tuesday, November 12, 2013


For the project of portraits, I decided to do myself so I could hang it up in my room. When I was thinking of materials to use, I had a lot of ideas. However, I chose the Sunday comics because I read them every Sunday.  I could get a lot of different tones and colors.  The choice of comics gave my overall portrait a childish/abstract look.  Also, the comic people faces gave my face color.  It was important to have the different tones because it gives my face depth and character.  I faced some challenges during the project.  It took a long time, and an overall of three Sunday comics combined to get everything I needed for the portrait.  Finding and cutting out all the tiny faces to go around the eyes was also a challenge I faced.  A risk I took was adding all the speech bubbles in the background.  It was a last minute idea, and I went for it, and I think it turned out pretty successful.  I think my choices created a comical and overall fun portrait.  The materials have a connection with me since every Sunday, I read the Sunday comics and it's interesting to see some of my favorite comic characters on the portrait. I feel my portrait was successful.